Day’s distance: 0 miles (DAY OFF)
Total trip distance so far: 2,815 miles
Today was another day off the bike. Yesterday, the predicted weather for my destination was pretty gloomy so I stayed put. I will be taking off tomorrow, headed for Port Austin, MI.
I walked around town again today, but didn’t wander too far.
I met two other bikers this morning at the local Starbucks. Mark and Rich both ride Goldwings. Well, technically, one Goldwing and one F6B, the recently released “Bagger” variation of the Goldwing. They are headed west to the headwaters of the Mississippi and then following the river’s route down to St. Louis.
We had an interesting discussion of the use of tires meant for passenger vehicles on their bikes – both were using car tires. Like many bikers who tour long distances, they have been on some of the same roads I’ve visited. A
I thought I would take the opportunity to update my schedule for the next few days.
- (Thur, Sep 8) Mackinaw City to Port Austin – (295 miles) Travel along the western shore of Lake Huron. Motel options seem sufficient and rain is probable. [Play lodging by ear.]
- (Fri, Sep 9) Port Austin to Niagara-on-the-Lake – (272 miles) Travel from Michigan to New York via the province of Ontario and along the southwestern shore of Lake Ontario. With the most recent changes to my route, this may be my only visit into Canada. Lots of lodging options in the Ontario city of Niagara-on-the-Lake, recommended by a friend in the office. [Splurge some for Canadian lodging]
- (Sat, Sep 10) Niagara-on-the-Lake to Fairport – (112 miles) My original plan was to get a service here, but I rescheduled it for Essex Junction. [Play lodging by ear. Weather is predicted to be wet.]
- (Sun, Sep 11) Fairport to Port Henry – (321 miles) Starting with Cedarville Road, Llion Gorge (Hwy 51), through the Adirondack Mountains and finishing with Ensign Pond Road into Port Henry, situated on the western shore of Lake Champlain. [Play lodging by ear]
- (Mon, Sep 12) Port Henry to Essex Junction – (51 miles) Traveling north to get to my destination and find a motel near the dealership. [Play lodging by ear]
- (Tue, Sep 13) Day off – getting a level II service performed.